Ever since I was a boy I have had an undying passion for buildings and the people that occupy them. As a kid I only ever constructed buildings from Lego, later graduating to dens and treehouses at the bottom of the garden.
From the age of 16, I worked as a labourer on building sites during the school holidays. Later I followed my passion by graduating with BSc degree in Building Surveying, before gaining my Royal Charter from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in 1986.
I have and spent the last 34 years helping clients with all aspects of their buildings. Understanding how they are put together, how they are used, how they can be optimised and how they serve the people and organisations that occupy and use them.
I have worked on historical and national monuments, some dating back over 600 years. I have designed and managed the repurposing of buildings at the end of their useful life to constructing a brand new state of the art iconic edifices. I have worked with owners and occupiers of palaces, castles, houses, casino’s, factories, offices, data centres, schools, hospitals, hotels and theatres.
What I have come to realise is that all of these places are Workplaces for someone.
As Winston Churchill once said “We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us”
This is how I discovered my passion for helping clients understand how and why buildings influence the people and organisations that occupy them.
Over the past 20 years, the commercial property industry has been fixated on improving asset efficiency. Workplace densities have risen, often driven by the need to reduce operating costs. But somewhere along the line, we have forgotten about the impact this has on the people that use the Workplace and the massive impact this has had on their productivity and wellbeing.
Globally almost 1 in 2 people go to work every day in the certain knowledge that their Workplace is going to hinder what they are trying to achieve for the organisation that employs them.
Now Post COVID-19 This has been exacerbated. The return to the Workplace is likely to be traumatic for many and concerns around the health and safety of workers will no doubt be top of mind.
Physical distancing will still be required but we will need to mend the damage that prolonged periods of isolation and social distancing has meant to social cohesion.
This is the moment to reset the dial. We must not miss the opportunity to shift our perspective on how the purpose and values of the organisation are reflected in the Workplace and consequently how this contributes to the wellbeing of the institution as well as its employees and stakeholders.
No wonder we are in the midst of a productivity crisis worldwide, despite all of the advances in technology and the ubiquitous access to information.
As a leader of large teams and divisions myself, I have experienced and understand the frustrations of an unproductive Workplace. Marry this with the opportunities I have had to work with some of the best and smartest companies in Africa, UK and The Middle East and…
That is why I set up Workplacefundi; to develop Workplace Strategies to help smart organisations create and manage amazing workplaces, so their people can do amazing work.
- I have been working in the Built envoronment for 34 Years
- I was one of the founding Directors of TMD Building Consultancy in the UK.
- I spent 13 years at the Total Facilities Management Company (TFMC) as the Managing Executive in charge of the Professional Services
- I spent 6 years at Tsebo Facilities Solutions as a Director, including two of its operating subsidiaries in Lesotho and Botswana.
- I started WorkplaceFundi.com at the beginning of 2016
- I am actively involved in the FM community at international and local levels. I am…
- The Chairman of the South African Facilities Management Association (SAFMA)
- Professional Member of the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management (MIWFM).
- The South African Ambassador for Euro FM.
- Member of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS)
- A Director of Global FM
- SABS Technical Committee 267 member responsible for developing ISO 41000 series of Global Standards for Facilities Management.
I am Married to Lynn and the proud co-founder of 3 Child Start-ups Tyler, Jessica, and Callum.